The worst thing about having a house or an apartment is cleaning it. The last thing you ever want to do is clean. Granted you are happy when it’s done, but the entire process honestly is just awful. When I discovered these cleaning hacks though, I was mad that I hadn’t seen them before now but really excited to use them! Guess my house could use a bit of cleaning. Check out these cleaning hacks before you have to clean again to save you time and money. It’s a win win.
1. Have a water stain on your wood furniture? Wipe up the water with a towel, then dry with a hair dryer. The ring should disappear after that.
2. You know what’s awful? Vomit on the carpet! Make a paste out of water and baking soda. Use a spoon or spatula and spread it over the affected area. Let this dry over night, then vacuum it up the next day! You can use this on other liquids including pet urine.
3. This is a great idea for everyone that hates to clean the toilets! The absolute worst chore ever! Take a mason jar and fill with vinegar. Put the lid on and poke a small hole in the metal lid. Place it in the toilet tank upside down. Every time you flush the toilet a little vinegar will help keep that toilet bowl clean, making it easier to clean. If you don’t have a mason jar but have the Mr. Clean Magic Erasers, cut a small piece off and put it in the toilet water. Let it sit there overnight. In the morning remove the Magic Eraser, scrub, and flush.
4. I had no idea! Although it might be easier just to buy some new sponges.
5. If you have a build up of soap scum in your shower, but can’t get rid of it, try spraying the glass with cooking spray. Let it sit for about 5 minutes, then rinse with soapy water and dry. The oil will dissolve the soap scum and lime deposits.
6. For anyone that has silverware made from actual silverware, you know that they can get that tarnished look very quickly! Line a pan with foil, then add 1/2 cup of table salt and 1/2 cup of baking soda. Fill this pan with hot water, then drop your silverware in. After 30 minutes of soaking, remove, rinse, and dry and they’ll be good as new!
7. Clogged sink but no drain cleaner? Never fear… Alka-Selter is here! Drop 4 tablets down the drain followed by 1 cup of white distilled vinegar. Let it sit in the drain for 10 minutes and then pour boiling water down the drain.
8. I’ve actually used this one, To get rid of those hard water deposits on the shower head, pour vinegar into a sandwich back and fit over the shower head with a rubber band. Let it sit there for at least an hour, but ideally overnight, then wipe the scum away.
9. Having a hard time removing pet hair from the carpet, couch, or comforter? Use a window squeegee or plastic gloves and rub over the area that needs cleaning. You’ll be grossed out by what appears!
10. Wet shoes are the worst! To help them dry faster, stuff them with crumbled newspaper or a sachet of uncooked white rice.
11. Who knew you could use oil to clean oil. Next time you cook something that splatters oil all over the place, get a clean paper towel and put a few drops of vegetable oil on it. Use this to wipe down the oil covered area and it’ll be nice and clean.
12. I love this tool to clean the microwave. Put a halved lemon in a glass container with water. Bring to a boil in the microwave and let it sit in there for a few minutes to steam. Remove carefully, then wipe your microwave clean!
13. Nobody likes to clean the oven. This is an easy way to do it! Put 1/2 c. of ammonia in a cold oven and let it sit overnight. In the morning, remove the ammonia and wipe clean.
14. Microfiber is nice and soft, but it is hard to keep clean. Fill a spray bottle with rubbing alcohol and spray the couch. Use a white sponge to rub the couch. After you’ve done this, use a hard bristle brush to ‘fluff’ the fibers. It’ll look brand new!
15. Did you stain something with lipstick? Spray it with aerosol hairspray, let sit for 10 minutes, then use a damp washcloth to lightly dab the area.
16. Do you have an old leather chair that looks very used? Use shoe polish to make it look brand new!
17. Why have I never thought of this before!
18. This is a brilliant way to clean your mattress. Pour vodka and a few drops of your favorite essential oil into a spray bottle. Spritz your mattress and let it dry completely before putting the sheets back on. The alcohol will kill germs while the oil will give your mattress a pleasant smell.
19. I’ve just been throwing things away once they get grease on them. Wish I would have seen this tip sooner. Cover the grease stains with chalk, let them sit for a few minutes, then use a damp cloth to remove the chalk and the stains!
20. Cloudy glasses are the worst. They are clean but definitely don’t look clean. Put a little vinegar on a clean paper towel and wipe these glasses clean!
21. A dirty grill is not a happy grill. Cut an onion in half and use either tongs or a fork and rub the cut side on the grate of the hot grill. This will clean the grill and add some flavor too!
22. If you are having a hard time getting your glass dishes clean, add a little bit of dish soap and water, then scrub with a ball of foil to get them nice and shiny.
23. To clean your George Foreman grill quickly, once you are done cooking take a couple of wet paper towels and put them on the bottom grill. Close the lid and let the heat steam clean the grill for you, then wipe clean!
24. Don’t throw those dryer sheets away once you use them in your dryer. Use them to clean things like baseboards, TV’s, and other nooks and crannies. They chemicals in them will also deter more dust from collecting.
25. Is your dishwasher getting a little grimy? Put a glass measuring cup filled with 1 cup of vinegar in the middle of the top rack, then wash on the hottest cycle. After that is done, sprinkle the bottom of your dishwasher with a little bit of baking soda. Re-run the hot cycle, and your dishwasher will look brand new!
26. The easiest way to clean ceiling fans. Put an old pillow case over one of the fan blades and then remove. Plus the dust collects in the pillowcase, not on the floor.
27. To clean a coffee grinder, put a little bit of bread or uncooked rice and grind. Dump that out, then add 1 TBSP of baking soda to the grinder, and turn it back on. Dump that out and it’ll smell great!
28. Coffee machines are a haven for bacteria! To clean out your coffee machine, fill the water reservoir with 6 cups water and 6 cups of white vinegar. Turn it on. When it’s halfway done brewing, turn it off. Let it sit for an hour, then turn it back on to finish the cycle. Once it’s done, run two cycles with water only to rinse out the vinegar.
29. I hate when I scorch a pan! It seems like the only thing to do is just throw it way. But don’t do that! Fill the bottom of the pan with water and 1 c. of white vinegar. Simmer for about 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, remove from heat and add 2 TBSP of baking soda. Mix well, empty the pan, and scrub lightly!
30. Breaking a glass is horrible! But next time it happens, use a piece of sliced bread to pick up the little pieces. The bread acts almost like a sponge when it comes to the little pieces.
31. An easy way to clean the blinds! Just put a sock on your hand and wipe them down.
32. Blenders are so hard to clean! But add in a little hot water and some dish soap, put the lid on, then blend and it’ll be nice and clean without much hassle.
33. Cut a pink grapefruit in half and sprinkle it with salt. Use this to get rid of a soap scum ring on your bathtub.
34. Stains on the carpet are the worst! To get rid of these, in a spray bottle mix 2 parts water and 1 part white vinegar. Spray the stain, then place a damp rag over the spot. Put a hot iron over the damp rag on the steam setting for 30 seconds. Repeat if necessary.
35. Take a clean washcloth and spray with your favorite cleaning spray. Then using a butter knife and the moist rag, clean the air vent.
36. If you are running short on time, but still have clothes in the dryer, throw in a clean dry towel with the wet clothes. Continue to dry for 15 minutes, then remove the towel you put in the dryer. This will help absorb some of the liquid, making your clothes dry faster.
With these cleaning hacks, I could have saved SO much time and money! Who knew vinegar and baking soda could be used around the house so much.
Don’t Forget To Share These Cleaning Hacks With Your Friends!