“Conspiracy theorists”. It’s usually a term reserved for people who the general public considers paranoid or wacko. Yeah, there are a lot of weirdos out there who blame the government for every bad thing that happens in society. The United States government has never done much to inspire confidence in it’s citizens that it is always telling the truth. This is not just the United States government either. Governments the world over lie to their citizens on an every day basis. It is usually put into the context of “to preserve national security” or “for the good of the public”. These reasons do not give the government the right to lie to the citizens. This is why conspiracy theorists tend to question every thing the government says or does. There have been many instances of conspiracy theorists being right about some very big conspiracies and cover ups, and having a lot to do with their unraveling. Here are 27 instances of governments lying to the people of the world. This stuff should really make you think.
1. Operation Northwoods- This was a plan that was drawn up by the Joint Chiefs of Staff under president John F. Kennedy. The plans were revealed to show how the U.S. government was willing to use violent attacks on its own people in order to sway public opinion in support of an all out war with Cuba. Thankfully, President Kennedy did not sign off on the plan that included hijacking planes, shooting Americans dead in the street, and convicting people of bombings that they didn’t commit. Do these things remind you of anything that is happening now?
2. The CIA has a “Heart Attack Gun”- After Watergate, committees and meetings were held in mass to determine what the U.S. Intelligence Agencies were up too. In these meetings, held by U.S. Senator Frank Church, it was revealed that the CIA possessed a “heart attack gun”. The gun would fire a frozen poison dart that could penetrate clothing and skin. The dart would melt into a person’s blood stream, carrying the poison to the heart where it would cause an immediate heart attack.
3. The Business Plot- This plot sounds like something straight out of a movie, because well it kind of is. The Business Plot was a plot to overthrow the president of the United States and install a Fascist military leader. The coup was backed by many influential people on Wall Street. It even had the support of the incredibly powerful Dupont family, and Prescott Bush who is none other than the father of George H. W. Bush and the grandfather of George W. Bush. The reason the plan never succeeded is because when the group of conspirators approached Marine General Smedley Butler about gaining the necessary military assets to pull off the coup, he immediately reported the plot. None of the conspirators were ever charged however. Big surprise right?
4. Tuskegee Syphilis Study- This is downright horrible. In 1932, the Public Health Service (PHS) began a study of monitoring the health of 600 sharecroppers, most of whom were black. 400 of the participants in the study had Syphilis when the study began but were unaware of it. The participants thought they were receiving free health care, the government had other ideas though. The PHS actually actively withheld Penicillin (which is used to treat Syphilis) from the area of the country where these people were being monitored. Their goal was to study the effects that untreated Syphilis had on the human body. When the study was finally brought to light in 1972, most of the people who were infected had died along with many sexual partners who had contracted it from the sharecroppers. There were also multiple children who were born with life threatening congenital Syphilis.
5. Operation MK Ultra- Yet another example of the government trying to manipulate the citizens of its own nation. Operation MK Ultra was an illegal program run by the CIA that used citizens of the United States as its test subjects, often without their knowledge or consent. The experiments were designed to develop ways of mind control and different torture methods. Different chemical compounds were given to the test subjects such as LSD. The amount of institutions that were involved in the project is pretty staggering, with over 80 being used. These ranged from mental institutes, to hospitals and universities. The project was outed to the American public and the director of the CIA ordered almost all of the documentation about the project be destroyed. This makes gaining more knowledge of the project very difficult. It was so true though, that Hilary Clinton felt the need to publicly apologize for the incident in 1995.
6. The FBI Poisoned Alcohol During Prohibition- Apparently the government was shocked that prohibiting alcohol didn’t stop people from drinking it. Who knew right? Out of this frustration they decided to dump chemical impurities into alcohol. These included chemicals like methane, formaldehyde, and ammonia. These contaminated barrels ended up in the hands of bootleggers and thousands of people died from them.
7. Operation Snow White- The Church of Scientology doesn’t seem to take kindly to people disrespecting their religion or its creator L. Ron Hubbard. The church began an operation called Snow White which was used to place Scientology agents into various governments across the world. They had 5,000 in the U.S. government alone! The agents engaged in many crimes like espionage, wiretapping, and theft of classified documents, among many more. The plot was uncovered though and 11 high-ranking church members were convicted of various forms of espionage.
8. The 1919 World Series Conspiracy- This is possibly still the biggest scandal in U.S. sports history. The 1919 World Series saw the Chicago White Sox (nicknamed the black sox) square off against the Cincinnati Reds. The White Sox were heavily favored in the series, but the Reds ended up winning in a huge upset. It wasn’t until late in the 1920 season that a scandal was revealed. 8 players from the White Sox were found to have thrown games in the series, allowing the Reds to win. None of the players were charged criminally because it wasn’t a crime to throw baseball games. All 8 of the players were banned from baseball for life however.
9. Operation Paperclip- Operation Paperclip was an Office of Strategic Services, Joint Intelligence Objectives Agency operation that consisted of the recruitment of German scientists to work for the U.S. government after VE day. President Truman signed off on the plan, with one caveat. He did not want any scientists brought over that had been found “to have been a member of the Nazi party and more than a nominal participant in its activities, or an active supporter of Nazi militarism”. All the scientists were cleared to work in the United States by the government after the military “bleached” their backgrounds and erased all their affiliations with the Nazi party from the records.
10. Gulf Of Tonkin Incident- Most people today know about the Gulf Of Tonkin incident. The U.S.S. Maddox reported being fired upon by North Vietnamese patrol boats in two separate incidents. These were used as media propaganda to gain support for more military intervention in Vietnam. In 2005 it was revealed the second incident never even occurred.
11. COINTELPRO Against Activists In The 60’s- COINTELPRO (Counter Intelligence Program) was a series of operations that infiltrated domestic political organizations. 85% of the groups operations were used to keep tabs on groups with communist or left leaning political affiliations. These included the NAACP, Martin Luther King Jr and other civil rights leaders of the time. The other 15% of the groups operations focused on the Ku Klux Klan.
12. Operation Mockingbird- The CIA used its influence to control the information being presented to the American people. They recruited journalists that would push the agenda of the CIA to the American public through the media. They even funded student and cultural organizations. They also influenced foreign elections.
Click The Next Page Button Below For More Conspiracy Theories That Turned Out To Be Real!