Have you ever known something to be true just to have the floor ripped out from under you when you find out that what you knew wasn’t? Here are 33 things that you thought you knew were true that aren’t… Prepare to be surprised!
1. Drinking Alcohol kills brain cells… FALSE!
2. The inventor of the light bulb was Thomas Edison… FALSE!
3. You use 10% of your brain… FALSE!
You use 100% of your brain!
4. The Great Wall of China can be seen from Space… FALSE!
(It’s the same color as the landscape around it)
5. Twinkies last forever… FALSE!
6. Nobody ever said, “Beam me up Scotty” in the original Star Trek TV series. Also, nobody says, “It’s life, Jim, but not as we know it.”… TRUE!
7. Vitamin C will stop you from getting a cold… FALSE!
8. The word “Crap” derived from the inventor of the toilet, Thomas Crapper… FALSE!
9. Goldfish’s short term memory is about 3 seconds long… FALSE!
Goldfish have a much longer memory than the rumor suggests…
10. Sugar makes children hyperactive… FALSE!
11. Coca-Cola invented the popular version of Santa Clause for an advertising campaign… FALSE!
12. Sherlock Holmes never says “Elementary, my dear Watson” in Arthur Conan Doyle’s stories…. TRUE!
13. The distinction between “less” and “fewer” has been a feature of the English language… FALSE!
14. Most people believed Christopher Columbus would fall off the edge of the Earth because they ‘knew’ the world was flat… FALSE!
(The idea that Flat Earth theory dominated the middle ages is a 19th-century invention.)
15. Water spirals down the plughole in opposite directions in the northern and southern hemispheres… FALSE!
16. You are always within 6 feet of a rat… FALSE!
(You are probably much further away… thank goodness!)
17. If you dropped a coin from the top of the Eiffel Tower it can most certainly kill someone… FALSE!
18. Chameleons change color as a disguise to match their environment… FALSE!
(They change color to communicate with other chameleons. )
19. Schizophrenia is when you have multiple personalities… FALSE!
(Dissociative identity disorder, the widely accepted current term for “multiple personality disorder”, is a completely different, unrelated illness)
20. If you are more emotional and creative you are “right brained” and if you are logical and analytical you are “left brained”… FALSE!
21. You lose most of your body heat through your head… FALSE!
(Your head loses heat at the same rate as any other part of your body)
22. If you cut an earthworm in half, both halves regrow their body, resulting in two complete worms… FALSE!
(Only the half with the head might survive)
23. There’s absolutely no reason why you shouldn’t decide to cheerfully, gleefully, even recklessly split infinitives…TRUE!
24. Climate change is a fraud perpetrated by a global conspiracy of lavishly funded scientists… FALSE!
25. Elephants travel to a secret “elephant’s graveyard” when they’re close to death….FALSE!
26. Orson Welles’ radio broadcast of War of the Worlds resulted in nationwide panic by Americans believing there was a real alien invasion taking place…FALSE!
27. Your hair and fingernails keep growing even after you die… FALSE!
28. Ostriches stick their heads in the ground when frightened… FALSE!
29. You taste different flavors with different parts of your tongue… FALSE!
30. Napoleon Bonaparte was a short man… FALSE!
(He was actually above average in height for his time)
31. Eating turkey makes you sleepy… FALSE!
32. Lightning never strikes the same place twice… FALSE!
(It actually happens a lot)
33. Vaccines cause Autism… FALSE!
Make Your Friends A Little Smarter By Sharing This Page!