Have you ever found yourself looking at a piece of food and wondering, “what the heck is that?” It definitely makes you think twice about taking a bite of it right? There are also things we eat that, if I saw it in its original form, I may not eat it. Well these 21 fruits, vegetables and nuts are definitely not the most appetizing things in their original form. See if you can guess what they are, because I certainly couldn’t on some of them.
1. Olives actually come from a tree like this one. They are harvested by shaking the tree until they fall off.
2. Eggplants grow from these low hanging plants, and are actually classified as a berry.
3. This strange-looking thing is actually what a cashew grows out of. The shells are toxic, which is why you will never find unshelled cashews.
4. This one wasn’t really a surprise. Kidney beans grow in these pods.
5. I never knew that broccoli was the flower of this plant. I also hate it and never eat it, so that might be why.
6. Peanuts grow underground, and look strange when attached to the plant.
7. Celery is probably one of the most bland things on the planet.
8. I’ve never actually eaten a date, so I really had no preconceived notion of what they would look like. This however, is unexpected.
9. Artichokes are actually a flower, beautiful ones at that. We eat the bud of the flower that produce these beautiful blossom when they bloom. This also renders it inedible however.
10. Kiwi grows on vines much the same as grapes. Not what I would have pictured.
11. Pineapple fields are pretty well-known. I’d love to see some in person one day.
Click the NEXT PAGE button below to see more.