Every year the world turns we lose some great people. The year of 2015 was no exception. Some extremely influential and important people have met their end this year, from sports icons, to music legends and business tycoons. Check out the list of people who have passed to the great beyond this year.
1. Yogi Berra, 09/22/2015: Yogi Berra is one of the most beloved figures in all of baseball history. He played 18 seasons for the New York Yankees, winning 13 World Championships in the process. He then managed the team until 1985. He is known for his many quotable moments such as, “It’s like deja vu all over again” or “It ain’t over till it’s over.” He even had a cartoon character named after him. He died at the age of 90 at his home in New Jersey.
2. Vincent “Don Vito” Margera, 11/15/2015- Don Vito died at the age of 59 after falling into a coma. He appeared on the hit show Viva La Bam and Jackass and most of its spin offs. He was often took the brunt of the jokes dished out on both shows. He was diagnosed with kidney and liver failure years before his death. He was also convicted of groping two underage girls at an autograph signing. So he wasn’t the best person, but was influential nonetheless.
3. Scott Weiland, 12/03/2015: This was one was very recent and has been a polarizing subject since it happened. Scott Weiland was the lead singer of both the Stone Temple Pilots and Velvet Revolver, two bands that I loved. He was found on the his tour bus right before he was supposed to take the stage in Bloomington, Minnesota with his band the Wildabouts. As to wha the cause of death was, no official ruling was given. Many people though suspect his past history with drug abuse is to blame.
4. Moses Malone, 09/13/2015: Considered one of the greatest 50 basketball players in NBA history, Moses Malone died very unexpectedly at the age of 60. When he did not show up for a celebrity golf tournament, people started to worry and went to his hotel room. He was found dead. He was a 3 time NBA MVP. On top of that, he was the first NBA player to be drafted straight out of high school. He was a 2001 inductee of the NBA Hall Of Fame.
5. Melissa Mathison, 11/04/2015: Mathison was the mind behind some of the biggest movies in recent decades. She was behind the screenplays for The Black Stallion, The Indian In The Cupboard, and Kundun which was directed by Martin Scorsese. She died in Los Angeles at the age of 65. She is also the former wife of Harrison Ford. The two were married from 1983 to 2004.
6. Carol Doda, 11/08/2015: Carol Doda is known for being San Francisco’s most famous topless burlesque dancer. She was the first stripper to go completely topless onstage. This caused a revolution in the adult entertainment industry. On top of that , she was also the first American women to receive silicon breast injections. She passed away from kidney failure at the age of 78.
7. Wes Craven, 08/30/2015: Wes Craven is considered the gold standard when it comes to the horror movie genre. He was the creative mind behind the five Nightmare On Elm Street movies, the Scream series, and The Hills Have Eyes. He died from brain cancer at the age of 76.
8. Darryl Dawkins, 08/27/2015: No cause of death has officially been released for Darryl Dawkins, the legendary NBA superstar. Darryl Dawkins received the nickname “Chocolate Thunder” in 1979 from Stevie Wonder because of his tendency to viciously dunk the basketball so hard that it would literally shatter the backboard.
9. Frank Gifford, 08/09/2015: Gifford is a Pro Football Hall Of Fame, and the former husband of Kathie Lee. He played his college ball at USC. After that he was drafted by the New York Giants. He retired from football in 1964, after which he transitioned into a television broadcaster role. He died of natural causes at the of 84.
10. Sean Price, 08/07/2015: Price died at the age of 43 in his sleep. He was a member of the groups Heltah Skeltah, Boot Camp Clik, and Random Axe. He also had a successful solo career. He spent decades in the music business, releasing three solo albums. The cause of his death is still unknown.
11. “Rowdy” Roddy Piper, 07/31/2015: This one made me really sad actually. Piper was only 61 when he passed away from cardiac arrest. He was inducted into the WWE Hall Of Fame in 2005.
Click The NEXT Button To See More Dead Celebrities In 2015