There have been so many people predicting the end of the world. There are talks of a zombie apocalypse or a massive earthquake; whatever the case may be, are you prepared? Have you created a food storage or planned a place to stay if World War III breaks out? What is your plan of action? I have put together a list of the top 10 places you should plan on heading if a disaster were to take place.
1. Mount Weather – Also known as the “Mount Weather Emergency Operations Center” is described as a civilian command facility in the heart of Virginia. It is also used as the center of operations for FEMA (Federal Emergency Management Agency).
2. Cheyenne Mountain – The famed Cheyenne Mountain Complex has been the subject of much controversy. It is located close to Colorado Springs, Colorado and is in 2,000 feet of granite. This facility was designed to withstand a 5 megaton nuclear explosion up to 1.7 miles away.
3. Raven Rock Mountain Complex – It is located along the Pennsylvania-Maryland border, the Raven Rock Mountain Complex is full of interesting and useful amenities. Some of the amazing places it includes are several underground reservoirs, a high-tech ventilation system, fire department, dental clinic, medical clinic, dining facility, post office, snack bar, dormitories, chapel, barber shop, fitness center and even, you guessed it, a Starbucks.
4. Moscow Metro – Underground City – Unknown to most traveling the subways of Moscow, there is something more down there than just a basic transit system. There is a large subterranean system of secret trains and bunkers beneath Moscow, most of which were built by Stalin during the Cold War. There is not a lot of information about this secretive place, but it would be an unbelievable hideout.
5. Iron Mountain – This facility is not necessarily a survivor place, but could easily be viewed as one. Taking up 10,000 square feet of space in a 1,000 acre limestone mine, the Iron Mountain storage facility is massive and rumored to be one of the most secure locations in the world. Today everything from social security records to Bill Gates private collection is stored here. The mine includes a 5 engine fire department, power generators, de-humidification, refrigeration and air filtration systems, an underground lake with water purification, as well as high tech sprinklers, plumbing and wiring throughout. Talk about survival, right?
6.The Greenbrier Bunker – The Greenbrier Bunker demonstrates the fact that not all bunkers are located in conspicuous locations. Back in 1958, the United States Government agreed to build the luxury hotel a brand new addition. In exchange they were also allowed to build a 120,000 square foot bunker beneath it. It is a short 5-6 hour drive from Washington D.C., and was a popular vacation destination for Washington’s elite.