Have you ever been to someone’s home who obviously has a great eye for decorating? Where it seems that their house just feels put together and unique? It’s hard to pull off that look because it’s not easy to find the perfect piece to compliment the look you are going for in your own home. However, the best way to find a unique, eye-catching piece of decor that fits perfectly in your house is to make it yourself! A versatile and fun idea is to re-purpose old shutters! Check out these 20 easy DIY project ideas where old shutters are re-purposed into beautiful furniture and accent pieces that you would be proud to own!
1. This shutter bookshelf is perfect for any room in any house! It would be perfect in an office or kid’s bedroom to hold stuffed animals and other favorite toys! And the best part is that you can customize it to fit in your space by making it shorter, taller, or thinner!
2. This is a great idea! If you want open shelving in your kitchen you can mount a shutter! Use the slats to hold and display plates and attach hooks to hang mugs!
3. This is a great way to have an herb garden! You can easily make it your own by changing out decorative jars for the mason jars, using different types of ribbon or raffia instead of the brown twine, or writing the type of herb on the slats next to the plants instead of having tags.
4. This one would be super cute to do with your kids! You can make it as big or small as you would like depending on the shutter size. I would paint it and then let my kids put their hand prints on it!
5. Room dividers are a great way to define a space, but they can be very expensive. However it would be super easy and very cute to make one out of shutters! And you can add as many shutters as you would like! Just make sure to alternate the way the hinges are attached so you get the zig-zag effect!
6. Although the image shows a display of more than just jewelry, I love the idea of using a shutter to create storage for jewelry! You can add knobs on the side of the shutter to hold necklaces and then hang earrings off the slats in the shutter! Paint it any color to match your bedroom or bathroom!
7. This may seem so simple, but I never thought of putting a shutter on the inside of a window before! It is a great way to bring visual interest to the space and enhances the look of a small window! I also love that they left it a natural color but you could paint it as well!
8. This one is super cute too! I would love to make this for my daughter’s room. I would paint the shelves contrasting colors so they stand out against the shutter!
9. I love practical and beautiful storage ideas! This would be great above a washer or dryer, and you could add pulls to the bottom side of the shutter (on opposite sides of the knob) to hang clothes off of while doing laundry!
10. Use a horizontal shutter as a coat rack! Great for any entry way or mudroom! This adds a ton of visual interest and would be super easy to do! You could have a hook for every member of your family so they can hang their purse or bags in a designated spot so they aren’t all over your home!
Click The Button Below To See More Ways To Display Repurposed Shutters.
[button-red url=”/repurposed-shutters/2/” ]CLICK FOR MORE[/button-red]