When I was young, our summers often involved trips to California where we would visit Sea World and Disneyland, and it inevitably involved an entire day spent at the beach. We would pack beach chairs and umbrellas that we would have to tote through the burning hot sand where my parents would excuse us to go play. My older brother and I would quickly run into the ocean and swim out into the depths where the waves would start to break (right where the surfers would wait to catch waves). We would play for hours and hours diving under the capsizing waves and letting the water flip us around in the sea. Only making our way to the beach so we could walk back to where my parents were because the tide would pull us far down the beach without us even realizing what was happening. As a kid I never thought twice about what could be lurking in the water just below our feet. It frightens me just thinking about what might have been swimming near us without our noticing. The ocean is a vast, scary world that we know very little about. And it’s so dark and murky that something could be within feet of you and you wouldn’t even notice. I’m less inclined to swim out into the ocean now that I’m older (and watch National Geographic). Here are 19 disturbing photos of things that lurk in the ocean that will make you think twice about your carefree summers at the beach from now on!
1. If this was the one and only picture in this post, it would be enough to make me question why anyone would get in the water! I watched a documentary once where they tagged a white shark and it went within yards of swimmers at the beach several times. Super scary to think this could be near you and you wouldn’t even know until it’s too late!
2. Just knowing the sheer size of animals in the ocean is enough to creep any sane person out! And they blend right into the water around them!
3. I’m afraid of small jelly fish! Can you imagine how terrifying it would be to run into a giant Lion’s Mane Jellyfish?
4. They say that space is the last frontier, but I beg to differ. The ocean is so immensely deep and mostly unexplored. They are discovering new species all the time! I really don’t want to know what monsters are yet to be discovered in the dark abyss!
5. I would literally be peeing my pants (or swimsuit) if I saw this tailing me! That shark is twice the size of the kayak and could easily knock it over! I’ll stick with kayaking in lakes, thank you very much!
6. I’m not exactly sure what this is. It looks like a combination of a potato bug and slug. Whatever it is, I really don’t want to encounter one in the water!
7. Am I the only one who is worried for this swimmer going over a deep dark drop-off in the ocean floor?! Who knows what’s down there waiting to devour an unsuspecting victim!
8. Yeah, sure the giant stingray looks like it’s smiling, and the swimmer is doing her zen-thing, but that thing may be smiling because it found an easy snack!
9. I know seaweed isn’t as scary as a shark, but have you ever had something brush up against you that makes you jump out of your own skin? That’s the sensation I get just seeing these swaying in the waves!
10. This Goblin Shark is the stuff of nightmares! And it doesn’t even matter that they live in the deepest parts of the ocean. The fact that they exist at all is reason enough to stay out of the water!
Click The NEXT Button Below To See More Scary Ocean Pictures.